Biertan is situated in the middle of the Transylvanian plateau, in the North of the Sibiu County, at even distance from Medias and Sighisoara. Biertan was first attested in 1283.
Our agency recommends visiting this tourist attraction especially to tourists who want to have an idea about how a Germanic settlement really looks like. This had an urban organization that was remarkable due to the Franconic style of the rows of houses placed around a central market of considerable size where peasants probably used to display their goods. Above the market there was an imposing church-fortress which can be seen from the distance as it attracts the eyes of tourists because of its unique design and its well preserved fortifications. There were indeed many fortified churches built between the fifteenth and the sixteenth centuries, but only a few of them managed to preserve their initial style as it was the case of the church in Biertan. This edifice was built on a hill in the middle of the village, which is still surrounded by hay meadows, wine yards, corn and forests as it probably happened in the fifteenth century.
The Biertan church assembly is made up of three concentric walls which tourists can still admire. The treasury of the church has a locking mechanism at the door which consisted of fifteen locks functioning simultaneously. This locking system is truly inventive even for modern locksmiths, surprising tourists through its design, knowing that it was created using rudimentary tools. The wall was fortified with eight towers almost identical in structure, but some of them were destined for purposes that tourists are amazed to find out about. The tower with the clock located in the North-East of the church and was designed to show the exact time to local people. In the North of the church there was the tower with the bell that was meant to call Christians to pray and to announce an eventual siege. Another tower was built as a prison- here were closed the couples that wanted to get separated. Nowadays tourists are surprised to find out that after a period of detention couples gave up that idea, so we can say that the tower had also a mediating role. The Catholic tower was situated in the South of the church but its role diminished after 1564 when Transylvania became the only European country with four confessions, with a certain degree of religious freedom. The Tower of Bacon had a special role, as during siege it functioned as an important place where goods were stored. To convince you of this monument’s originality and resistance through time, our agency recommends that you should visit it.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.