Start up in heterogeneous Bukovina, nested in the wooden Eastern Carpathians, with its fine rural architecture and world famous painted monasteries. Cross the mountains following an impressive route up the Bicaz Gorges and cross rolling hill upon rolling hill in Transylvania, discovering Saxon villages, fortified churches and fine medieval burgs. Stand in line with royalty while peeking at the summer residence of the king and end the tour in Bucharest with the second largest building in the world and a glass of fine Oltenia wine in the bustling old town. Or, well, maybe you feel like crossing the Danube and adding a Bulgarian extension to it…
BUCHAREST / IASI – ROMAN – SUCEAVA
Upon arriving in Bucharest, get a ride following the lowest reaches of the Carpathians, bordering wine country, up to Bukovina, home for a heterogeneous population of different faiths and ethnicities creating a rich cultural heritage. Start the tour with an afternoon stroll across Suceava, one of the major strongholds of the medieval Kingdom of Moldavia.
SUCEAVA – GURA HUMORULUI – HUMOR MONASTERY – VORONET MONASTERY – MOLDOVITA MONASTERY – SUCEVITA MONASTERY – MARGINEA POTTERY WORKSHOP – SUCEAVA
Take a day to discover the most famous monasteries in Bukovina and to get a good introduction to the area. You will have the chance to see the fine frescoes of Voronet, to enjoy the great natural setting of Sucevita, to experience the local crafts at Marginea black pottery workshop, respectively to stand in wonder in front of the quiet Arbore Monastery.
– Tour of the four UNESCO-listed painted monasteries with Arbore as a possible addition (time allowing it)
– Visit to Marginea pottery workshop
– Optional: traditional egg painting can be experienced in Vama (allow at least one more hour)
– Accommodation in Suceava / Sonnonhof Hotel
SUCEAVA – PIATRA NEAMT – BICAZ GORGES – THE RED LAKE – PRAID SALT MINE – SIGHISOARA
What do an impressive Moldavian fortress, some dramatic limestone scenery, a salt mine and a certain famous vampire have in common? Well, you’ve got it: today! Have the camera handy and allow an early start. And ask your guide to grab a freshly baked Kurtoskalacs on the way.
– Visit to Neamt Fortress
– Drive along the Bicaz Gorges
– Stop by the Red Lake
– Visit to Praid Salt Mine (visit involving many steps)
– Accommodation in Sighisoara / Casa Wagner Hotel or Sighisoara Hotel
SIGHISOARA – VISCRI – BIERTAN – SIBIU
Saxon heritage, beautiful countryside, old villages gravitating around an impressive fortified church where inhabitants used to find shelter at the time of a Turkish invasion. That, and the 2007 Cultural Capital of Europe, possibly the finest medieval town in Transylvania. Enjoy your day in the Siebenburgen!
– Walk across Sighisoara
– Optional: walk up the Clock Tower and the Wooden Stairway to the Church on the Hill
– Optional (with an early start): detour to visit Viscri, a fine Saxon village
– Visit to Biertan Fortified Church
– Drive up the backroads via Richis to Sibiu
– Accommodation in Sibiu / Casa Luxemburg or Am Ring Hotel
SIBIU – BRAN CASTLE – BRASOV
Explore the three majestic squares in the centre of Sibiu, then stare in admiration at the 70 km. long ridge of the Fagaras rising 2000 m. above the Transylvanian fields before taking the stairs up the cliff where Bran Castle is located on the former Wallachian border. End another fine day with a walk in downtown Brasov.
– Walking tour of Sibiu
– Visit to Bran Castle
– Walking tour of Brasov
– Accommodation in Brasov / Bella Muzica or Casa Wagner Hotel
BRASOV – SINAIA – BUCHAREST
The royal day: start in Brasov and cross the mountains, following the lower reaches of the Bucegi Eastern drops to Sinaia, the scenic location of which determined the king to set his summer quarter here. Explore the former residence and then go on down to Bucharest for a presentation tour. End the day with an exploratory walk across the Old Town and a peek at the pyramid-like Palace of the Parliament.
– Visit to Peles Castle in Sinaia
– Driving following by walking tour of Bucharest
– Accommodation in Bucharest / Venezia Hotel or Berthelot Hotel
LA REVEDERE OR… DOBRE DOSHLI!
Your call: this can be the end of the tour or the beginning of a new stage to it. We recommend an extension with a trip South of the Danube, across Bulgaria, with 3-4 days to Veliko Tarnovo, Plovdiv and Nesebur…
– Transfer to Bucharest Airport or continuation of the tour to Bulgaria
The tour is provided by a licenced tour guide.
Please fill the form bellow: